In the wild, big cats use their senses of smell and taste to check whether food is rotten. They’re also cautious about things they’re not familiar with. Your cute little kitten shares these instincts, but their natural curiosity means they might swallow something either by mistake or through their normal grooming – if something like paint or tar sticks to their fur, for example. With your love and care, you can help your feline friend avoid any potential dangers!
Prevention is better than cure, so store all cleaning liquids, medicines, paints and poisons out of your kitten’s reach. It’s also a good idea to keep doors to cellars, garages and attics shut.
In the wild, big cats will hide if they're ill or injured. Your little kitten might do the same if they're swallowed something nasty, so keep track of their whereabouts. Poison symptoms can vary widely from unusual tiredness to paralysis, shivering and cramps, as well as diarrhoea, nausea and vomiting. If you’re at all worried, take your kitten to the vet as soon as you can.
Every second counts
If your kitten does show signs of poisoning, don't try to make them sick – take them straight to the vet. If you know what the poison is, take it with you.
Keep an eye on your kitten's coat - they could end up getting nasty substances stuck on them that they can't avoid licking when grooming themselves.